Tuesday, November 13, 2012

INTRODUCTION


Welcome!  For those of you who aren't already aware, I'm going to be in New Zealand until the middle part of next year.  This blog serves to chronicle my adventures and share them all with you! I PROMISE TO ONLY USE PICTURES THAT I HAVE TAKEN MYSELF.

WHO:  


ME, of course.  (Frodo surrogate)

WHAT:


My adventures in New Zealand.  This is one of the most unique places on the planet, and I want to see every square inch of it while I'm here and share it with you.

WHERE:


Christchurch, New Zealand.  The largest city on the South Island and probably the most scenic.

WHEN:


02 November 2012 thru beg June 2013

WHY:


In late 2010 and early 2011, this region of NZ suffered 2 devastating earthquakes.  One of them happened directly under the city center.  This led to numerous building collapses and unfortunately, fatalities.  There is continued debate as to the structural health of the buildings that were damaged, but did not fall down.  My job as a structural engineer is to assess these buildings and develop a strategy going forward:  from doing nothing -> retrofitting the building -> tearing it down.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment